Friday 8 March 2013

Creating Estella

Young Victoria - Emily Blunt

Young Victoria - Emily Blunt
I looked more at fashion and hairstyles of the time to gain inspiration for my Estella.  I wanted to re-create the more established Stella, more when she's about to attend the ball.  In particular I looked at the film Young Victoria: Played by Emily Blunt.

Sketched idea of Estella 

Hair for Estella

Test on doll


Test on doll

Before thinking about hair i referenced lots of styles and ideas, I suppose I took a little from Young Victoria then made it my own.  I knew from working on the doll that the fancy bun took most of the hair.  I wanted two long curls to drape either side of the neck so I has to add four rows of extensions for thickness and length.  For the front i wanted it young and simple so I made a middle part, i backcombed for volume and curled the underneath either side to create the traditional marcelo waves.  For the bun i simply divided into three sections and rolled separately to create a more formal evening look.  Finally i curled the extensions and wrapped into two thick marcelo waves.

Marcelo Waves & Bun

Extensions added for thickness and length

Marcelo waves & Bun

Three rolled bun & waves
Make-up for Estella

When referencing the Victorian era I learnt that make-up wasn't really used.  It was seen as something that prostitutes wore.  As I was trying to achieve a young, fresh and youthful complexion make-up was needed, so I had to be very careful to make it look as natural as possible.  I simply matched all the skin tone and covered with a base to give a flawless complexion and added a soft pink to the cheeks to give a rosy glow.  Finally i added a peachy natural colour to the lips and applied powder to the whole face to reduce shine.

No make-up

Flawless base make-up

Base with slight pink cheeks

More blush for camera & natural lips

Styling for Estella

I managed to source a dress and fan that had been handed down from the Victorian period.  As I wanted to make the dress more formal and evening style i dressed it up with some lace and a broach.  I added some long diamond earrings for effect.  I used the fan on my test shots but it didn't come across well enough in the final images so I chose not to use it.

Dress before being styled more formal

Lace and broach added to make more formal

Earrings added to give an air of wealth

Fan used for test shots but not on finals
Test shots - Estella















No comments:

Post a Comment